Thursday 20 March 2014

Evaluation Activity 1 DRAFT COMPLETED

In What Ways Does Your Media Product Use, Develop or Challenge Forms And Conventions of Real Media Products? (i.e. Of Music Magazines)

During the course of researching to plan my magazine, I researched highly rated magazines which were similar to the genre I was attempting. It enabled me to discover the most used conventions, how they appealed to target audiences and how they were developed in order to create an aesthetically pleasing magazine. 

Researching allowed me to consider titles for my magazine. When looking at similar genre music magazines, I discovered that shorter titles were more aesthetically pleasing than longer titles. The short and sweeter they are, the more they are remembered by readers. 'V' and 'Spin' magazine titles were particularly effective as they stood out (depending on where they placed the title) and I wanted to challenge this idea. When shorter magazine titles are used, you can experiment with them, for example, 'V' magazine was used in-between the main image to look like Beyonce was holding it. This is effective because it highlights it's importance. I did not choose to have my title in the centre as I wanted to challenge where the title worked best. However, it was still effective on my front cover as it took up negative space and stood out significantly. I decided used this convention in my own work by naming my magazine X. X has connotations of both mystery and paradoxically very specific detail as my magazine includes both specific things associated with my genre of pop as well as the mystery and fun that goes with the genre. I developed V's use of the masthead by placing mine in the traditional area of the upper left hand corner, this both used an existing convention (see Q, NME) but challenged and developed the masthead convention from magazines such as 'Clash', 'Love' and 'Wonderland'. These magazines have a focus on fashion and this is something I developed in my own magazine as I wanted to create a stylish and aesthetically pleasing magazine.



Researching allowed me to discover the most popular front page layouts (known as the 'F' and 'Z' layouts). I particularly liked the 'Z' layout because it is simplistic which goes with my idea of having a simplistic magazine. 'F' layout's needs more text to be used therefore would not fit with my simplistic layout. The preliminary work allowed me to experiment with other front cover layouts however they did not fit the look I was attempting.
Rule of thirds and the golden spiral layout was taken into consideration. Many magazines I researched used rule of thirds which is why it interested me. Researching this made me think that readers may find this layout more aesthetically pleasing than the golden spiral. I believe the rule of thirds is effective. Although the images may not cover the whole page, it allows masthead's and cover lines to be placed effectively rather than text going over an image. 
Basing my magazine front cover around these layouts allowed me to create a simplistic and modern magazine cover. Due to my magazine being very minimalistic and simplistic, it was difficult to maintain a layout. I tried to sustain the Z layout as it goes from left to right. I developed my layout by researching 'Love' Magazine. The magazines recent release consists of a layout similar to my own. It does not fit an ideal layout however still looks consistent and effective. I challenged 'Wonderland' Magazine because my magazine is similar to this layout and genre, however my magazine has less text on it to ensure I reach my simplistic theme.
It have become evident from these images that I have challenged the Swiss Page Harmony layout. Although some of my features do not fit in the grid box, other features on the pages fit into other areas. For example, the masthead on the front cover fits perfectly in the top right box. My text on the contents and the pull out quote on the double page spread fits in the centre box. 




Researching costume, props and iconography, allowed me to see what I should consider within my feminine music magazine. 'Billboard' and 'GQ' magazine used props or jewellery often. Although this looked effective, I thought it would be too distracting on my own therefore I did not use these features. Prop idea's were replaced with make up. I developed this idea from 'Love' magazine. They did not use props on their front cover. This was an effective replacement because it made my model stand out and her make up also goes well with the colour scheme. The pink lipstick highlights the female target audience as pink connotes females. 
'Billboard' and 'V' magazine's clothing are usually quite simplistic. I used and developed this idea into my magazine. The use of simplistic clothing compliments both the model and the cover well as it contrasts with the colour theme of the magazine. Beyonce wears white on 'V' magazine. This goes well with the masthead colour and compliments the navy background. I ensured in my photo shoots the models wore either black, white or grey to compliment my pink colour scheme and overall magazine. I developed my magazine by looking at the front cover of 'Wonderland' and considering the clothing used. The model on the front cover is wearing a crochet material. The idea of using a different outfit material other than cotton was effective because it stands out and compliments the simplistic magazine. I challenged the material of the clothing the model was wearing by introducing my model to a mesh material. It is presented as flirtatious and adds personality to my model. 



Researching camerawork and framing of images made me realise many music magazines similar to my genre chose mid shot angles. This angle is effective because the upper half of the models are shown and their eyes can draw in the readers effectively. Having a mid shot on the front cover of a female magazine is effective because it is inspiring. Younger audiences may aspire to be or look like them if they are appealing. I only maintained mid shots throughout my magazine because I was influenced by other magazines mainly 'Clash' 's pop issue. This magazine uses many mid shots and I was inspired to find out more about the camera angle. Websites suggest that mid shots capture a subject in more detail and also capture enough for the audience to feel they are looking at the whole subject. I agree with this statement because the audience do not need to see the artists lower half of her body therefore other camera angles such as long shots are irrelevant. I developed the mid shot idea into my magazine. I challenged 'Clash' by having a clear consistency of mid shots (Clash use mainly mid shots however there is some close up's and long shots). I am aware that is a challenge to the conventions of many of the magazines used as examples by the exam board (see my AFL post) BUT as my genre is different from those provided by the board and keeping with 'real media texts' I have taken the risk and stuck exclusively with the more professional looking mid shot. To avoid my photo's looking boring and dull I ensure that I took great care with the mise en scene within the images. Myy additional three models (Bryony, Emma and Alex) on the contents page chose their own clothing for the photo shoot. This was effective as they all stood out individually.  Bryony chose a t shirt with an 'acid' look. This worked effectively because it complimented the black and white edit and it also looks like clouds on her t shirt. This could connote that she is innocent and goes with the flow. This juxtaposes with the quote underneath her image on the contents page. Emma chose a t-shirt with greek-mosaic sleeves. This connotes that she is quite quirky which would draw in readers. Alex chose an aztec-mosaic shirt. This connotes he to stands out from the crowd and perhaps has an iconic personality. There costume highlights that they fit the idealised stereotype of a mainstream social group and they do not need any other camera angles to present this.






I researched articles to consider what language I could use in my magazine. The double page spreads I analysed used informal and formal language. Researching helped me consider these languages in my magazine and the idea of using them all appealed to me. I used and developed them in my magazine. Due to my magazine being for females, I used descriptive language so my article appealed to them. I developed and used the language register from magazines such as 'Spin', 'Q' and 'Wonderland'.


When analysing the headers of the double page spread, I noticed many of the magazines used the artists names as headers. This is effective because it ensures readers know who the article is about. I used my artist as the header because it promotes the artist in a positive way. I developed this idea from 'V' and 'Spin' magazine. 


The magazines analysed used simple fonts for articles. This is effective because it is easy to read therefore readers would be drawn in. I used the Calibri font as it's a simple font and easy to read. For mastheads and the title of the magazine, I used a different font. I wanted the most important pieces of text to stand out. When I analysed magazines they had used other fonts for certain pieces of text to stand out. The other fonts give an edge and personality to the magazine. I developed the idea of 'Q' 's magazine font as it sustained a simplistic look to the page. However, I did challenge this idea because the font from 'Q' looked old fashioned and I wanted my magazine to look modern therefore I used the Calibri font as it is more modern. I maintained the simple, straightforward font. 


   I chose a variety of genre magazines to analyse. Analysing a variety of genre's is effective as I could choose the one which appealed to me most. I chose Popular Music because it appeals to a wider audience rather than just a certain target audience. My magazine suggests a popular music magazine for many reasons. The colour scheme is bright which connotes loud and well known music. My font is also large to stand out. Models on the contents page look the part and do not look apart of a specific genre therefore apply to a wide area of genres. I developed my magazine by viewing similar genres to my own such as 'Love' and 'Wonderland' magazine. 'Love' has an exaggerated front cover through colour, fonts and mise en scene therefore I believe I challenged this using bright colours and large fonts to maintain the popular music genre. 



1 comment:

  1. This is a good initial response Molly BUT you would benefit from including the words 'use', 'develop' and 'challenge' in your response.

    I'd also add a lot more detail about why you always used midshots, PROVE that this is a convention otherwise they will want to mark your product down for lacking a variety of camera shots and angles. THIS IS ESSENTIAL.

    For band 4 look on my blog for the glossary of key terms and add a few of these to your analysis.

    ReplyDelete