Sunday 23 March 2014

Evaluation Activity 7 DRAFT COMPLETED

Looking back at your preliminary task (the school magazine task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product?


Since doing the preliminary task, I have learnt and progressed in many ways.
It has become extremely evident that during the preliminary task, I had no knowledge on how to use Photoshop. The preliminary task allowed me to experience the programme before creating my final magazine. It has became noticeable that I have learnt a lot about how to use the programme when comparing the preliminary task and final piece together.Through research, planning and experimenting, I was able to create a professional looking magazine.

When reflecting on my preliminary task, I noticed that I had not thought about the main features/ conventions to my greatest ability. 
One of the features I had noticed mainly was the fonts I had chosen. The fonts did not compliment each other well and I had not stuck to an overall font theme. The text looked unprofessional and confusing. However when creating my final piece, I took fonts into consideration by researching and when I had finished I had matching fonts which complimented each other well. My magazine looked organised and professional.
I also noticed the preliminary magazine layout was unorganised. The magazine did not look appealing. Due to the magazine looking unappealing, I decided when creating my 25 word pitch, I wanted to create a organised magazine. This was provided through the final magazine.

When creating my final piece, I had to take the colour scheme into consideration. The prelim magazine's colour scheme was boring and unappealing. It did not stand out or address my audience effectively. However, when creating my final magazine, I thought about the colour scheme more. The 25 word pitch allowed me to think about who I wanted my target audience to be and this helped me to pick certain colours. The pink colours on the final magazine helped address my female audience effectively.
The main image on my front cover of my prelim magazine is non-effective. This is due to a lot of reasons; one being the image being edited. Because I had removed the background of the image, it left a rigid edge around the picture. This looked unappealing and unprofessional. However, learning to use Photoshop allowed me to soften to edges around the image of my final magazine. It now looks more professional. The preliminary image was not effective also because the chosen model is not looking into the camera. This meant the model could not draw in the readers with his eyes. I took this into consideration when creating my final piece and made sure the model drew the readers in.

During the project, I was able to use tools on Photoshop I did not have knowledge in before. I was enabled to use tools such as the 'Marquee select tool', 'magic wand', 'healing brush', 'paint bucket' and many more.

Overall, I believe researching and creating the preliminary magazine gave me an insight on how to use Photoshop effectively and to a high standard. The programme has allowed me to create a realistic and professional magazine which I have pride in. I feel that the following research and experimenting has enabled me to reach my target audience in the most effective way possible. I believe I would not have been able to create such a professional magazine without researching and the access to Photoshop.


1 comment: