Tuesday 28 January 2014

Chosen Artist Name

Artist Name
To find the idea of an artist name, I used 'Wikipedia Random Articles' and my own ideas. Wikipedia gave me words such as:

  • MLAK
  • Castillo
  • Eells
  • Turgeon
  • Luciana
  • Rosa
  • Project
  • East
All of these words were interesting. They all give a different effect. However, I considered my target audience and decided they were not very feminine therefore would not go well with my magazine.
I considered 'Luciana' for my model however there is already a female artist with this name and I wanted to be original. I then considered 'Rosa' but it did not sound English and my model is from the UK and so is the magazine therefore my main target audience would be an English audience. Although I did not choose these as my artist's name, I did like the idea of having a unique name, so therefore I considered my own idea's too.

In order to create my own idea I had to consider many things such as people I know with unusual names, celebrities etc.
Finally, I came up with my artist's name. 

Orla East

I decided to have this name due to a variety of ideas. I thought of 'Orla' because I know somebody with the name. I thought it was effective as it was unique, different and unusual and that is how I aim to make my magazine. I then looked up what 'Orla' meant. Many connotations came from it such as it meaning 'gold' 'precious' and it is a name used referring to someone as a 'princess'. Of course, these all are quite feminine things therefore goes well with my magazine. 
I decided to add 'East' into the name for a few reasons. Although 'East' came up on Wikipedia, it allowed me to consider which celebrities have unusual names such as that one. Immediately, I thought 'Kanye West', a famous rapper. Although that is his last name, it is memorable and I thought perhaps if my target audience spoke about 'Kanye West' to each other, this would make them think of 'Orla East' as it is a short jump away from it. I also decided on adding 'East' because it gives the artist a bit of background. The model/ artist is from the East Midlands therefore links well. 

Artist Profile
Name - 'Orla East'
Age Range - 17-19 (Appeal to both younger and older audiences this way)
Music Genre - Popular Music
Musical Influences - Beyonce, Rihanna, Miley Cyrus, Iggy Azalea
Members - 1 (Female)

The artist's musical influences are these as she likes to be quirky, individual and every song she aims to stand out and be different. She enjoys Beyonce's voice because she can fit every genre especially with her husband. She also likes her fashion sense. She likes Rihanna because she has a bad side to her (also with Miley Cyrus). She likes how Miley Cyrus is not afraid to be different and Iggy Azalea because she's also different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment