Sunday 19 January 2014

Research Relevant Photographers, Graphic Designers and Magazine Creators

Photographer - Terry Richardson
Terry Richardson is a famous American fashion and portrait designer. His main work has been in magazines such as GQ, Vogue, Harper's Bazaar and Vice. Richardson sustains repeating themes through his work such as using high-profile celebrities and using an instant camera. The photographer is well known for using a white background, having photos taken with his models and trading his trademark glasses. The sexual atmosphere of Richardson's photography has always been controversial as has the sexual atmosphere and  activity at his photo shoots in particular on the part of Richardson itself. Richardson has been accused multiple times of sexual exploitation of young models. 
Despite Richardson's negative background I think he would be the perfect photographer for my magazine as his images are simple which allows me to use mastheads and cover lines around the image effectively to fill in the negative space. 




Graphic Designer- Ruth Ansel
Ruth Ansel is the graphic designer for 'Harper's Bazaar' Magazine. She was the art director for 'The New York Times Magazine' and 'Vogue'. Each time, she was the first woman to hold this position. Her work is very similar throughout. They are kept at a minimal and look quite simplistic. She enables everything to be read easily therefore is more appealing for readers. Her work is quite quirky. It involves colour often and can be considered quite original.
I think Ruth Ansel's work could have been considered on my magazine because I enjoy the simplistic look with colour used regularly.




Magazine Creators - Christophe Brunnquell
Christophe Brunnquell is the creator of 'Purple' Magazine. He is also a French art director and artist. The popularity of 'Purple' magazine increased his popularity and boosted his career. Since then, he has worked with Louis Vuitton, Balenciaga and Celine. The creator has changed the way magazines look and continues to focus on having many images throughout the magazine. Brunnquell's magazines often use large white areas with works surprisingly well. 
Christophe is different to the style I would like in my magazine however I do enjoy his individuality and contrast between modern magazines. I think his specific work would work well with a music genre such as Indie music however this could apply to popular music and my magazine if i chose to just focus my work on just providing images.
The images I found from Christophe's work came from the magazine 'Purple' in order to get a good example. 



3 comments:

  1. Good post Molly. You always reflect on what you've learnt and set realistic targets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly.

    You need to upload your prelim work. This means uploading your music mag and your school magazine cover and contents. You also need to complete your audience research.

    I have left comments on certain blog posts for you to respond to

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have responded to these comments by uploading my preliminary work (including my music magazine, school magazine cover and contents page) and I am yet to complete my audience research.

    ReplyDelete