Sunday 19 January 2014

Language Register

For my magazine cover, contents page and double page spread I have chosen to use a mixture of formal and informal language.
I have chosen to half use formal language because I think it's important for a magazine to be formal slightly as it will not discourage readers. Also, I believe using formal language appeals to a wider range audience as everybody can understand it and read it effectively. The use of formal language is accepted in every day society and also appeals to a wider audience than my own (teenagers between the ages of 15 to 25).
I have also chosen to half use informal language because I believe it is important for readers to relate to the magazine and also so the magazine is personal to readers. Informal language allows the readers to feel engaged in what they are reading. Informal language would appeal to my target audience more (teenagers between the ages of 15 and 25) as it is a language teenagers use on an every day basis.

By reading the double page spread in 'Billboard' magazine on Rihanna allowed me to identify which language register is applied to the article. I identified that the double page spread for 'Billboard' magazine was informal and formal language. Formal language was identified as the article contains facts and the writer writes as if they are interviewing the artist. Informal language was supplied through biased language. The use of 'obviously' indicates this. The writer also writes sometimes as if they know the artist. By using detailed language about her personality (such as 'ever changing', 'daring' and 'high-profile') suggests that the writer knows a lot about her or that they are close to her. This language could be aimed at both young and old-ish audiences as it uses a variety of language to ensure it appeals to a wider range audience.
'Q' magazine uses the same language. However, the language used is more story-like and descriptive suggesting they are trying to sell the article rather than focus on appealing to a wider audience.
'Spin' magazine uses formal language on their double page spread. This is effective because it allows readers to discover more about the artist rather than being bias about what the writer thinks. This allows the audience to create their own opinion on the artist rather than somebody choosing it for them through biased language. 

2 comments:

  1. try and link this to the magazines you have analysed for your coursework as well as your excellent target audience post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment from Mr Smith allowed me to reconsider what I had written and improve it. I read the double page spreads I had analysed for my magazine analysis' and analysed which language register they wrote similar to.

    ReplyDelete