Friday 24 January 2014

Preliminary Work Reflection

How does your prelim represent particular social groups?

With the magazine being for Lutterworth College, I created it to aim at age groups which are in the school. This includes ages 14 to 18. The population of the college is around 2000 pupils and teachers. Obviously for a target audience this is quite minimal for a magazine. However, the magazine will only appeal to or be relevant to those who work or attend the school. I believe the main target group for this magazine would be those who are interested in the school itself and what it has to offer (such as stereotypical Geeky students of all ages).

Who would be the intended audience for your product?

The intended audience for my magazine is the students in the college. This is because the magazine features articles such as activities to consider doing after school, revision help and newsletters etc. The magazine is aimed to appeal to those who are actually interested in what the school has to offer.

How did you attract/ address your audience?
I attracted my audience by having an image of a student on the front cover. I believe this is effective because it allows readers to identify who the target audience is if it is not obvious enough. I also used the school logo. I think this is effective because it allows readers to identify which college it is from  so students from the college can appeal to it. The logo's colours address my audience. This is because it appeals to the GCSE pupils uniforms therefore they can address the magazine is for themselves. On the contents page, I have used alliteration. The use of alliteration stand out to the readers as it rolls off the readers tongue during reading. This is effective because the sentence sounds appealing.

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
Throughout creating my preliminary magazine, it has become increasingly evident that technology is time consuming and needs to be thought out thoroughly. Using a variety of technologies in my preliminary work has allowed me to get used to them so I will be better at using them on the real thing. I believe getting used to technology such as professional cameras and Photoshop is essential because otherwise I will struggle during the real creation. 
By using a professional camera to take my images is nothing new to me. I am used to this however i do not use my camera on a regular basis therefore it was good to get used to all of the buttons again. 
By learning how to use Photoshop is extremely effective. I have used similar applications before however this one was more advanced therefore it was a good idea to use whilst creating my magazine so I was able to get used to the application before the real magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment